You are invited to submit a proposal to organise a session on any aspect of computer applications or quantitative methods in archaeology. Sessions engaging with the theme “50 Years of Synergy” to discuss the current state of the field as well as CAA’s history are encouraged. Session organisers may choose from one of the following formats:
- Standard – with a series of 20-minute papers addressing a theme presented in advance by the organisers;
- Round Table – with a pre-conference position paper published by the organisers, followed by an invitation for researchers to submit a response in advance or to participate in open-forum discussion at the session;
- Other – with the format decided by the organisers, exploring innovative and creative ways for participants to engage with the session.
Session proposals (up to 1000 words plus references) should be broad enough to reach all interested researchers, regardless of affiliation or background.
Further guidance for each session format can be found below.
The CAA2023 call for sessions will be open until the 19 August 2022. Acceptance notifications will be sent to session chairs in early September, and the call for papers will open in mid-September.
The CAA strongly encourages its members to consider and promote under-represented demographics when convening a team to propose a session, encouraging colleagues to submit papers, and recruiting speakers. In particular, we encourage session proposers to consider how they can engage with and support colleagues from:
- multiple countries and institutes, particularly those less well represented within CAA membership;
- different career stages and professional situations, with particular attention to the participation of early career researchers and early career colleagues from within and outside academic institutions;
- different ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and other aspects of personal and professional identity which bring a range of perspectives and experiences to the CAA conference
- different approaches to archaeological research and practice.
Requirements and responsibilities
The CAA conference will be a fully in-person meeting in 2023. The official language of the conference is English, and all session proposals should be submitted in English.
You may contribute to more than one session abstract, but you may only be first author for one and you must be willing to be involved in the development and delivery of all sessions that are accepted.
All session chairs as well as presenters will be required to endorse the CAA ethics statement when submitting a proposal.
Session organisers will be expected to
- promote their sessions
- encourage submission of abstracts;
- coordinate the review of submitted abstracts, including recruiting reviewer with relevant expertise;
- actively engage with ethics issues, should they arise;
- chair the session at the conference;
- encourage post-conference publication of papers.
The CAA Scientific Committee may propose splitting or merging sessions as part of the review process depending upon the number of submissions. Session chairs are expected to work with the Scientific Committee to facilitate this process.
Any queries related to the CAA2023 call for sessions should be directed to email@example.com and Marta Lorenzon, Scientific Committee Chair, at SciComm_Chair@caa-international.org.
Proposals can be submitted via the form below.
Error: Anonymous form submissions are not compatible with sessions on this site.